|Position Title||Mechanical Engineer VI|
|Organization Name||Rail Operations|
|Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or related field is required. Eight years of progressively responsible mechanical engineering experience working on Heavy Rail Car systems/sub-systems and equipment; OR eight years of progressively responsible mechanical engineering experience in the design, redesign, and/or retrofit of light and or heavy rail car systems/sub-systems and equipment. Must have knowledge of and experience in two or more of the following areas: heavy rail car truck design and construction, car body design, and or construction and testing; Air Brake Systems designs, upgrades and testing; HVAC design, upgrades and testing. Must have highly effective problem solving skills. Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required. Experience in Light Rail Cars is desired. Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products. Must be proficient in the use of AutoCad. A Master's degree may be substituted for two years of experience.
INTERVIEW SELECTION PROCESS: The selection process may include one or more components to demonstrate applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities in job related areas. These may include exercises such as practical demonstrations, written communications, oral interviews and/or competency assessments.
|Serves as the lead Mechanical Engineer on Rail Car Special Project Teams. Designs, reviews and comments on the most complex designs for mechanical systems on Authority’s Heavy and Light Rail Vehicles. Investigates, identifies, and develops solutions to a wide range of highly complex mechanical problems that affect rail car equipment and systems/sub-systems, and supporting rail car maintenance shop equipment used to maintain the rail cars. Identifies guidelines and prepares procedures to ensure the proper maintenance of Authority's mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems/equipment on rail cars and various Rail Car Maintenance Shop Equipment used to support the rail cars. Recommends alternative methods and/or equipment to improve safety, maintainability, reliability, and cost effectiveness of the diverse and complex systems on MARTA rail cars. Monitors the preparation of drawings and specifications, and all other rail car maintenance related activities of Authority’s General Engineering Consultant or other contractor during existing rail car systems/sub-systems upgrades and or new rail car qualifications, commissioning and acceptance testing.
1. Serves as lead Mechanical Engineer on special project teams in support of Authority’s Heavy and Light Rail Vehicles. Initiates and provides highly complex mechanical systems designs on existing rail car systems/sub-systems.
2. Prepares, modifies, and/or directs the preparation and/or modification of highly complex engineering documentation, specifications, manuals, etc., to support Rail Car Maintenance Reliability Engineering activities.
3. Provides technical support and engineering assistance in problem solving, equipment/systems design, redesign, and/or retrofit programs to correct rail car equipment or system/sub-systems deficiencies
4. Updates system/sub-systems design criteria and standard drawings, policies, and guide specifications. Identifies guidelines and prepares procedures to ensure the proper maintenance of the mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems/equipment on the Authority’s rail cars.
5. Reviews changes to criteria and assures that approved changes are incorporated into the appropriate documents.
6. Reviews CAD File drawings, technical specifications, and other engineering documentation provided by the Authority’s General Engineering Consultant or other contractor on existing and new rail cars. Reviews drawings and specifications for existing and new rail cars that are prepared by outside consultants.
7. Provide technical support for rail car maintenance contracts and procurement activities.
8. Provides lead mechanical engineering support for all of Rail Car Maintenance’s Quality Assurance and Quality Control activities.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
|Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Georgia or the ability to obtain Georgia registration via reciprocity within six months is required.
|Number of Openings||1|
|Reports To||CHF ENG RELIABILITY & RC REHAB|
|CHF ENG RELIABILITY & RC REHAB|
|Posting Type||Both Internal and External|
Mechanical Engineer VI