|Position Title||Senior Director of Communications|
|Location||Atlanta, GA, US|
|Organization Name||Dir of Media Communications|
|*POSITION POSTED UNTIL A VIABLE POOL OF CANDIDATES HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED*
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, English or a related field. Eight years progressively responsible experience in media reporting, corporate communications, advertising, public relations or public information positions where skill in investigating and analyzing information and preparing and presenting news releases has been required. Two years of supervisory experience required. Experience creating and maintaining forthright and professional working relationships with members of the media is required. Must have analytical skills to assess the exact nature of emerging situations, and the implications of various reactions to those situations. Must be able to serve on call as spokesperson for the Authority and respond accurately and appropriately to news media inquiries. Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. In lieu of degree, directly responsible experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis.
INTERVIEW SELECTION PROCESS: The selection process may include one or more components to demonstrate applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities in job related areas. These may include exercises such as practical demonstrations, written communications, oral interviews and/or competency assessments.
This position serves as the Authority’s liaison for media relation. Responsible for managing media relations in all mediums and directing the strategic communications efforts of the Authority with local, state, national and international media. Advises the General Manager/CEO and other Senior Staff on media strategy and format to ensure the most favorable and consistent public image supportive of the Authority's goals. Serves as the Authority’s Spokesperson as needed. Provides briefing materials for all media requested interviews. Serves as the principal speech writer for the GM/CEO.
Works effectively with internal and external stakeholders to influence and maintain a positive image for the Authority. Coordinates and analyzes information on occurrences and events, and develops the Authority's response. Writes new stories to educate and inform the community on Authority events. Responds to news media inquiries on a 24/7 basis. Prepares and briefs the General Manager/CEO and MARTA Board of Directors on media events as appropriate. Facilitates Open Records requests and requests for filming on the MARTA system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
4 . Writes complex and sensitive materials including speeches, remarks and statements for the GM/CEO and the MARTA Board of Directors as required; Opinion-Editorial pieces, letters to the Editor, etc, prepared in a time sensitive manner.
5. Manages and implements the Emergency Notification procedure; provides notices to key Authority offices and personnel in the event of major incidents or events, or in anticipation of controversial or sensitive news coverage.
6. Anticipates and identifies significant policy decisions that would have a major public impact and works closely with the General Manager/CEO and other executive staff, to ensure that they are informed and strategically prepared.
7. Provides Media interviews on key MARTA policies as needed.
8. Manages the Office to ensure effective internal and external communications to include social media.
9. Maintains active working relationships with decision-makers in Bus/Rail Operations, Police Services, Marketing, External Affairs and others.
10. Remains up-to-date on MARTA occurrences, including accidents, crime activities, construction work, repairs marketing programs, Transit Oriented Development programs and other activities which directly affect the public.
11. Develops and implements appropriate goals and objectives that will ensure accomplishment of the authority's communications and media relations goals.
12. Develops and implements an annual communications plan that reflects the Authority's Mission and objectives. Coordinates messages with other Authority plans developed to communicate with internal and external audiences.
13.Performs other related duties as assigned.
Directly supervises the Manager of Communications and other assigned staff.
Follow the work practices and standard operating procedures for this position. Use and/or wear the appropriate equipment, protective devices or clothing that MARTA requires. Repot health and safety concerns to supervisors and report and on-going/unresolved health and safety concerns to the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) co-chair, JHSC representative or safety representative.
|Number of Openings||1|
|Reports To||CHF MARKETING & COMM OFFICER|
|CHF MARKETING & COMM OFFICER|
|Posting Type||Both Internal and External|
Senior Director of Communications